RED CROSS HOSTESS HOUSE

FORT LEWIS, WASHINGTON

This 1919 building was originally constructed from the old hospital at "Camp Lewis," for use by the Red Cross volunteers and recuperating soldiers. The restoration project included exterior renovation and foundation strengthening using "Legacy" funds and interior renovation/remodeling by in-house craftsmen using O&M funds to adapt the building for use as a Family Services Center and a meeting and work place for Wives Clubs and other post organizations.

Included in the design was a new kitchen, meeting rooms, offices, a reception area and a nursery. ADA accessibility features included the incorporation of a wheel chair ramp at one side of the building and provision of restroom facilities on the main floor, as well as the appropriate finishes and hardware throughout the interior.

Restoration work included seismic upgrades, a new roof structure, 3-tab window and door reconstruction, new columns and steps, disabled access ramps and new landscaping and paving. The renovation work completed on this structure was faithful to the building's historic roots and replicated original design and finishes, wherever possible. This 1997 project was recognized by the State of Washington Historic Preservation office for its accomplishments.

 
.
.
.
 
© ORB Architects, a division of INNOVA. All rights reserved.

950 Pacific Avenue, Suite 450 Tacoma, WA 98402   |   phone: 425.226.3522   |   fax: 425.226.9115   |   marketing@orbarchitects.com